Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Review: The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones by: Alice Sebold
372 pgs.

Synopsis

When we first meet 14-year-old Susie Salmon, she is already in heaven. This was before milk carton photos and public service announcements, she tells us; back in 1973, when Susie mysteriously disappeared, people still believed these things didn't happen. In the sweet, untroubled voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and her own adjustment to the strange new place she finds herself. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. With love, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie watches her family as they cope with their grief, her father embarks on a search for the killer, her sister undertakes a feat of amazing daring, her little brother builds a fort in her honor and begin the difficult process of healing. In the hands of a brilliant novelist, this story of seemingly unbearable tragedy is transformed into a suspenseful and touching story about family, memory, love, heaven, and living.


Opinion

I got this book for Christmas last year and didn't pick it up for a while. It looked a little weird to me. After a while I went ahead and tried it and I'm so glad that I did. This has everything in one. It gets you on the edge of your seat but is also a real soft, "loving" book. It's very good and really makes you think of what it would be like to lose you daughter (parents) and what it's like to see you parents reactions while you're in heaven (Susie). It had 2 different point of views, so that was interesting for me. It had a lot of mature content though. A few parts even I skipped. I also recommend the movie. After I read the novel I went to the movies and saw it with a few friends. It has NO inappropriate parts in it. They took out everything. Overall I think that the book was better though. Great book! Ages 15+

No comments:

Post a Comment